If you don’t know How to calculate Body Mass Index don’t worry, we will explain everything related BMI and tell you how to calculate body mass index in every units. This post is little bit lengthy because I tried to cover almost all topics related to BMI.
In this post you will learn about BMI Calculation, BMI Formula and everything related to BMI and what to do if BMI is low or high.
What is BMI?
Before calculating BMI let us know a little bit about BMI. The Full form of BMI is Body Mass Index.
Body Mass Index(BMI) or Quetelet index is a value used to check your weight category.BMI is calculated based on a person’s weight and height.
BMI is a noninvasive and easiest way to calculate a person’s body fat. Adolphe Quetelet devised Quetelet Index and it was later renamed as Body Mass Index by Ancel Keys.
Noninvasive means the Medical test or surgery happens without cut in skin. Since, BMI doesn’t need any such thing except your weight and height it is Noninvasive.
BMI is calculated by dividing weight in kilograms by square of height in metres. Using BMI value we can determine whether a person is underweight, normal weight, overweight or obese.
Body mass index gives you a estimate value of body fat with the help of BMI Formula or BMI equation. Though BMI is a very popular method of finding body fat it doesn’t work correctly for athletes, or peoples with muscular bodies.
If your BMI value is high your body fat level is high and if you have low BMI then your body fat level is low.
Before checking your BMI just be clear with these things. BMI is often considered as measurement of body fat but it’s actually a surrogate measure of body fat because it calculates excess weight not excess fat.
For example consider a two person of same height and weight. The weight of the two person is 75Kg.But the combination of fat and muscles is different among two. Like person A has 70Kg muscles plus 5Kg fat and person B has 65Kg muscles and 10Kg fat.
When we calculate BMI of these two shockingly it’s same. But we all know that fat is higher in Person B. So BMI approximately tells you if your weight is healthy according to your weight. It is advised that solely depend on BMI while calculating your Body Fat. Make use of other BMI alternatives which is listed at the end of this article.
To make it more clear for you I will explain with an example. An athlete with good muscles will definitely have high BMI and falls in obese category. But actually he has a healthy weight. The BMI shows high BMI because it is calculated with Body Mass not Fat mass. So BMI is not suitable for few cases like athletes, pregnant women. Even If you don’t belongs to these cases it is good to measure your body fat with waist circumference, BMR Calculators.
Importance of BMI
Here are the few significance of Body Mass Index
- BMI indicates approximate body fat and it is one of the popular and noninvasive method to find body fat. Body Mass Index helps to know about one’s weight and height relationship easily with its calculation.
- BMI can be calculated easily. One can calculate his BMI by himself no need to go to doctors and all to calculate it. But don’t forget that too take action regarding your BMI you need to consult a doctor.
- BMI helps us to determine health risk of a person and helps to know more about a person’s weight. BMI charts helps us to differentiate various weight category like underweight, normal weight, overweight, obese easily. We can further classify this into categories like severe thinness, obese class one/two/three etc. This helps us to notice even a small change in our weight and height.
- BMI shows whether your weight falls on some risk category like overweight, obese, moderately obese etc. It clearly indicates the potential of risk by having these categories.
- It helps us to identify how close we are for risky weight category. This helps to take preventive measures before we fall on other category. Why this is important means it will helps us to take action before we gain/loss weight. For example if someone has pre obese category he/she will automatically concentrates on weight.
- Using BMI it is easy to take right action related to our weight.
- It helps to relate the health of people with same age.
- It is noninvasive diagnostic tool for determining body fat. It gives approximate value of body fat.
- BMI has several categories which gives detailed idea about body fat. We can calculate BMI in any metrics with its simple formula,
- BMI is one of the important health parameter. That’s why it’s so popular throughout the world.
- BMI ranges gives better analysis of our weight.
- BMI tells you the risk of having disease like diabetes, stroke etc. This is very important because these kind of disease are very serious and needs very much precaution.
- BMI relates our height and weight and tells us our weight category.
- Higher BMI is higher chances of having weight related disease.
- With BMI we can easily evaluate our weight gain/loss. Based on BMI we can take several preventive measures to avoid certain kind of disease.
- BMI is one of the popular calculation in medical world.
- Though BMI has some flaws but it is good for people who starts on weight gain/loss process.
- Unlike other ways we can check our BMI on daily/weekly basis without much effort.
Limitations of BMI
- It only tells obesity but not the amount of composition of body like muscles, bone, fat etc.
- BMI Formula tells you the ratio of weight and height not the body fat.
- It’s an approximate measure of body fat not accurate level.
- BMI of taller people are misled due to scaling in calculating BMI.
- BMI is good for short term or starting stages of weigh diagnosing. To make it more advanced you need to depend on other method.
- BMI is not advisable for athletes, pregnant women, and old age peoples.
- It doesn’t differentiate muscle mass and fat mass. For example the BMI of body builder will be high though he has lots of muscles than fat. This is because we are talking both muscles and fat whole as a weight.
- BMI is good for short term process in weight or fat diagnosing. To move the process one step further we need to depend on other methods to.
BMI Calculation is a process of calculating your Body Mass Index to know if your weight is normal to your weight. BMI is calculated using BMI Formula.
BMI Calculation formula needs the value of your height and weight to tell your Body Mass Index. BMI formula is also known as BMI equation popularly. Both body mass index formula and Body Mass Index Equation is same.
BMI test tells us more about our weight and shows us risk of having disease related to weight or fat.
After Body Mass Index calculation we need to compare it with BMI table or BMI chart. To know in what is our BMI index range. It tells us our weight category like morbid obesity. BMI metric chart has several BMI ranges like obesity BMI range.
To calculate BMI we should know the height and weight. BMI is calculated using BMI formula. After BMI is calculated, the obtained BMI value is compared with BMI chart. It tells the health risk of that person.
BMI formula or equation help us to calculate BMI. To calculate your BMI formula is must. There are two types of BMI Formula. The first is Metric BMI Formula which helps to calculate BMI in kg and feet. BMI metric formula means BMI formula in kg and feet. The second one is imperial BMI Formula which helps to calculate BMI in pounds. Imperial BMI formula uses BMI formula in lbs or pounds.
BMI Formula Metric – How to Calculate BMI in kg – BMI Formula in Kg
To calculate BMI in Kg use Metric BMI formula. Metric BMI Formula is same as BMI formula in Kg. This formula is used only if your weight is in kg if your weight is pounds or lbs use the next formula which is BMI formula in lbs.
BMI = Weight (kg) / Height2 (m2)
Substitute the value of weight and height in the above formula. After calculating compare the value with BMI Chart or BMI Table.
BMI Formula Imperial – How to Calculate BMI in Pounds – BMI Equation in lbs
To calculate BMI equation in Pounds use Imperial BMI Formula. The Imperial BMI formula is used when you have your weight in pounds or lbs. Below is the formula to calculate your BMI in Pounds.
BMI = Weight (lbs) * 703/ Height2 (inches2)
Substitute the value and calculate your BMI. After calculating compare it with BMI table below.
Most of the people thinks BMI formula and equation is different but that’s not true Body Mass Index equation and Formula is same. BMI equation in pounds, BMI equation in kg is also same as BMI Formula.
How to Calculate BMI
There are two ways of calculating BMI. First way is to calculate BMI manually and the second way is calculating BMI with our online BMI Calculator. We have explained both ways of calculating Body Mass Index below.BMI for adults is same as normal method.
How to Calculate BMI Manually with BMI Formula or BMI equation
To manually calculate BMI we need our height and weight. After getting your height and weight substitute it in the deserved formula. Calculate the BMI and compare it to the BMI Chart to know your weight category.
Steps to Calculate Body Mass Index or BMI?
Below are the steps to calculate BMI
- Note down the height of the person in meters.
- Note down the weight of the person in kilograms.
- Square the value of height and note it down.
- Divide weight in kilograms by the value obtained in previous steps
- Now you have successfully calculated BMI
- Compare the BMI value with the below BMI chart to know the health condition.With these I’m sure you got the answer for what’s my body mass index
Using BMI Chart we can check in which category our BMI falls.If your BMI is under 18.5 you’re underweight.If your BMI falls between 18.5-25 you’re normal weight or ideal bmi.If your BMI falls between 25-30 you’re overweight.If your BMI is above 30 you’re obese. After performing calculation of your BMI you need to check it with Body Mass Index Chart. BMI Chart shows us in which category we fall.
BMI Chart for Men
BMI Chart for men is same as normal chart. The Normal BMI for men is 18.5 to 24.9.If BMI of men is below 18.5 they are considered as underweight. Check the below image to know which Weight category you belongs to.
BMI Chart for Women
BMI Chart for women is probably same as men. In some cases the normal BMI range for women is considered from 19 to 24.9 not 18.5 to 24.9.Check below image for BMI Chart of women.
BMI For Children and Teens
BMI for childrens and teens (2-19)yrs is little bit different.We need to check BMI Percentile to calculate BMI.Check this post to know how to calculate BMI for children. BMI for adults the same.
Calculate BMI For Women
BMI for women is same as women but there are different opinions exists while ranging underweight category.The most common range for underweight category is 19.
BMI calculator for men is also same as Normal BMI Calculator. If you’re searching for BMI Calculator for men you can use our calculator which has more number of Body Mass Index Ranges and helps to get clear knowledge about your health.
BMI Calculator for women you can use our BMI Formula calculator. As we said earlier there is only few difference between men and women so you can use our calculator itself. If you don’t want to neglect that calculate and then compare it with BMI Chart for women.
BMI calculator Pounds is obtained by choosing imperial option in our BMI calculator. For more clear
BMI calculator in kg and feet is used by choosing metric option in our calculator.
Alternatives of BMI
- BMI Prime: BMI Prime is defined by slightly modifying BMI.It is a ratio of BMI value by upper limit optimal BMI.
- Waist Circumference: It is a good tool for fat indication.
- Surface-based body shape index: It is calculated using body surface area, vertical trunk circumference, waist circumference and height.
How to Reduce BMI?
If your BMI is above ideal level you should try to reduce it. Check the below points to know how to lower your BMI
- First Consult to a doctor regarding your BMI.Doctor will give you a better tips than anyone else. This is must before taking any action.
- Follow healthy diet. Diet is the best thing you can do to reduce your BMI
- Avoid sugars as much as possible.
- Do exercises regularly. This helps in reducing weight so as BMI. The one thing you should remember is the exercises done with dedication and regular gives you good results.